Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 22 November, 2001

 

Yeadon

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin | Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 Leeds Indexers

Origins

8 1/2 miles NW of Leeds

History

 

Neighbouring Areas

Apperley Bridge, Guiseley, Rawden.

Trade Directories

YEADON, on a lofty moorland hill, on the north side of Airedale, 8 1/2 miles N.W. of Leeds, is an extensive village in three divisions, called Henshaw, and Upper and Lower Yeadon. Its township contains about 3500 souls and 1730 acres of land, extending two miles southward to Apperley Bridge, where there is a station on
the Leeds and Bradford Railway. Many of the houses and factories are lit with gas from the works of the Yeadon and Guiseley Gas Light Co. The Church (St. John) was built in 1844, at Henshaw. The living is a perpetual curacy, valued at £80 in the gift of the Rector of Guiseley. The National School was built in 1847. Here are two Wesleyan Chapels, and one belonging to the Primitive Methodists, but the Reformers have claimed one of the former. Here is a large School, built in 1823, for this township and Rawden. Here are also a Mutual Improvement and several Friendly Societies. A cattle fair is held here on the first Monday in April.

Churches / Places of Worship

Church

St. John

Religion

 

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

The Church was built at Henshaw in 1844.

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

  • WHITE'S 1853 Trade Directory, William WHITE

 

Index

St. John