Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 9 February, 2002

 

Sheepscar

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin | Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 Leeds Indexers

Origins

 

History

 

Neighbouring Areas

 

Trade Directories

1886 Kelly's Directory (Transcribed by Alan Longbottom.)

St. Clement's, Sheepscar, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed April 30th, 1869, out of St. Peter's and St. Michael's, Buslingthorpe; portions having in turn been since assigned to form the parish of St. Martin, Potternewton. The church, situated in Chapeltown road, and consecrated 10th September, 1868, is an edifice of Potternewton stone with Westwood stone dressings in the Early English style, from the designs of Mr. George Corson. architect, of Leeds, and was erected in 1867-8, by the Leeds Church Extension Society, at a cost of about £10,000: it consists of apsidal hancel,clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a tower with octagonal turrets and a spire reaching a height of 140 feet and containing [ ? ] bells: the seven windows of the chancel and the west window are all stained: the circular stone pulpit is enriched with four exquisitely carved panels, and there is a fine organ built at a cost of £1,680: there are sittings for 800 persons. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, endowed (June 11th, 1869) with £200 yearly by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, net yearly value £197, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Ripon, and held since 1866 by the Rev. Thomas Samuel Fleming F.R.G.S. and surrogate. The parsonage house was erected from grants in 1862 and 1870 amounting in all to £1,145. The area is 197 acres; and the population in 1881 was 10,771.


Churches / Places of Worship

Church

St. Clement's

Religion

 

Consecrated

10th September 1868

Connected Churches

St. Peter's, St. Michael's

Status

 

Architect & Building

 

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

  • 1886, Kelly's Directory.

 

Index

St. Clement's