Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 12 January, 2002

 

Rawdon

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin | Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 Leeds Indexers

Origins

7 miles N.W. of Leeds.

History

 

Neighbouring Areas

 

Trade Directories

WHITES 1853 Leeds Directory states:

RAWDEN, a large village on a lofty acclivity, on the north side of
Airedale, 7 miles N.W. of Leeds, has in its township and chapelry 2558 souls, and 1536 acres, including the following hamlets, and Woodhouse Grove School, situated near Apperley Bridge, and founded in 1812, for the education of sons of Wesleyan ministers. There are 130 pupils in the establishment, but accommodations are now making for a larger number, by the erection of a new wing. Rawden Church, erected in 1651, and repaired in 1825, is a curacy valued at £107, in the patronage of Mrs. Emmett. The Wesleyans, Independents, Baptists, Quakers, and Primitive Methodists, have chapels here. Rawden School has an endowment of £10 a year, for eight free scholars. At Apperley Bridge

Churches / Places of Worship

Church

Religion

 

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

 

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

 

Index