Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 6 February, 2003

 

Leeds

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin | Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright (c) 2000 Leeds Indexers

Origins

Leeds is the modern version of 'Leedes', 'Leodis' and 'Loidis'.

The meaning of the place is lost in history but. 'Leodensis' (yes, another variant) is thought to be originally 'Ladenses' a Celtic word for, 'people living by the strongly flowing river'. There is another thought regarding the origin in that 'Loidis' means, 'area of the prince' - 'Loid' being an Old Celtic word for a prince - similar to 'lord' or 'laird' today.

History

The first mention of Leeds (in the form of Loidis) was in 731 when the Venerable Bede mentions it in his writings. It appears that Leeds, then in the kingdom of Elmete, was some sort of way-point for travellers and Paulinus, later Saint, was brought to Leeds for safe travel to York.
It next appears in the Domesday Book in 1086 as 'Ledes'.

Neighbouring Areas

 

Trade Directories

1893, Kelly's Directory. (Transcribed by Alan Longbottom)

All Souls' is an ecclesiastical parish, formed March 11, 1881, out of the parishes of St. Matthew and St. Mark Woodhouse. The church, situated in Blackman lane, was erected in 1876-80, at a cost of nearly £20,000, as a memorial to the late Dean Hook, vicar of Leeds, 1837-59, and was consecrated 26th January, 1880; it is an edifice of stone, in the Early English style, from designs by the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. and consists of chancl with aisles, clerestoried. nave, aisles and an incomplete tower at the north-west angle : the chancel is groined in stone, and there are several memorial windows: the organ cost £1,400, and the internal fittings are chiefly memorial gifts from the late dean's family, clergy and the congregation; there are sittings for about 900 persons. The register dates from the year 1880. A vicarage house and Sunday school, begun in June, 1885, are now (1886) in course of erection from designs by Mr. Robert J. Johnson, architect, of Newcastle at a cost of about £10,000, and when completed will form with the church, three sides of a quadrangle; the buildings are in a simple Gothic style, and include a cloister connecting the vicarage with the schools; it is also proposed to add a baptistery to the church and to erect a lofty cross in the centre of the quadrangle to Mr. James Hook, eldest son of the late dean. The living is a vicarage, endowed June 8,. 1883, with a gross yearly income of £200, in the gift of the vicar of Leeds, and held since 1876 by the Rev. Cecil HookM.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. The population in 1881 was 5,886.

St. Andrew's is an ecclesiastical parish, formed Dec. 6 1844, out of that of St George, but a portion of it has since been appropriat:d. to form the parish of St. Simon. The church, situated in Cavendish street, and erected by subscription in 1841 as a memorial to Mrs. Sinclair, wife of the Rev. William Sinclair, first and late vicar of St. George's, a building of stone in the Early English style from designs by the late Sir G. G. Scott R.A. and consists of chancel, nave and aisles, in 1884 a choir vestry was erected, at a cost of £625, and a new organ introduced: there are 810 sittings. The register dates from the year 1841. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £330, with residence in the gift of five trustees, and held since l882 by the Rev. William de Lacy Evans M.A. of Worcester College, Oxon. The population in 1881 was 6,150.

St. George's is an ecclesiastical parish formd in 1838, portions of which have been since taken to form the parishes of St. Andrew, Emmanuel and St. Philip. The church, situated in Great George street, erected in 1836-8, at a cost of about £11,000, and consecrated November 7th, 1838, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, from designs by Mr. — Clarke, architect, and consists of nave, aisles and a western tower with spire reaching a height of 160 feet, and containing a clock: over the communion table is a fine painting, by C. W. Cope esq. R.A. representing "All nations looking unto Christ; "and there are memorial tablets to John Atkinson esq. W. Robinson seq. and Mrs. Sinclair: the church is built on a raised flagged terrace beneath which are vaults, but both the church and graveyard were closed against interments by Order in Council May 4th, 1855; the western entrance is approached by a flight of stone steps; in 1874 the structure was thoroughly renovated and has now sittings for 1,400 persons. The register dates from the year 1838. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value about £600, with residence, in the gift of five trustees, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Charles Edward Lamb M.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, and surrogate. The population in 1881 was 11,662. There is a mission room in Park court, connected with this church, erected in 1881-2, at a cost of £1,100 and used both for divine service and for Sunday school purposes.


Churches / Places of Worship

Church:
  Emmanuel Church
Religion:
  University Chaplaincy for Anglican, Baptism, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Quakers, Salvation Army & United Reform Church members. 1
Consecrated:
  15th September 1880 1
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  Foundation stone laid 28th October 1876 by Robert BICKERSTETH (Bishop of Ripon)1. Architects Richard ADAMS, John KELLY1. Built in memory of William HEY (Leeds Surgeon)1 and Thomas DIBB (Solicitor)1. Spire designed by Harry CHORLEY1.
Records:
   
Notes:
 

Restored after fire in 19681

Bibliography:
  1. 2001, Leeds A to Z of Local History, John Gilleghan (MBE).

 

Church:
  Holy Trinity (Chapel of the Holy and Undivided Trinity)1
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
  10th August 17271
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  Foundation stone laid 23rd August 1721 by Rev. Henry ROBINSON.1 Consecrated 10th August 1727 by Lancelot BLACKBURNE (Archbishop of York)1 Built at a cost of £45631 a £1000 of which was contributed by Lady Betty HASTINGS (of Ledston Hall) with the help of Ralph Thoresby and many leading Leeds Mercheants.1 The site on which the church stands Kid Stack Garth was purchased for £175.1 Church designed by William ETTY.1 The original wooden spire was damaged by a huriccane on Monday 7th January 1839 and was replaced by a 186' structure designed by Robert CHANTRELL1.
Records:
   
Notes:
 

 

Bibliography:
  1. 2001, Leeds A to Z of Local History, John Gilleghan (MBE).

 

Church:
  Mill Hill Chapel
Religion:
  Formerly Presbyterian, now Unitarian.
Consecrated:
  27th December 1848 (present chapel)
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
 

Originally sited near Alms Houses Garth opened 25th March 1674.1 Founded by a group of non-conformist Presbyterians (attended by Raph THORESBY's father John).1 First Minister Richard STRETTON.1 Rev. Joseph PRIESTLEY preached here 1767-1773.

The present building was designed by Bowman and Crowther, an elegant gothic building that replaced the original 17th century chapel. Foundation stone laid 26th April 1847 by Ald Hamer STANSFIELD.1 The Chapel was built from stone quarried from Meanwood and Potternewton1. designed by Henry BOWMAN and Joseph Stretch CROWTHER and built at a cost of £7300.1 Opened 27th December 1848.1 During the course of building, services were held at Call Lane Chapel.1 Graveyard was removed due to building of attached shopping centre, although some headstones were relaid (incorporated into paving) in 1978.1

Records:
   
Notes:
 

Part of the Civic Trust Blue Plaque Trail.

Declared listed bulding in 1970.1

Noted Minister Joseph Priestley, LLD, FRS (discovered oxygen) Minister 1767-1773.

Bibliography:
  1. 2001, Leeds A to Z of Local History, John Gilleghan (MBE).

 

Church:
  Oxford Place Methodist Chapel
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
   
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
   
Records:
   
Notes:
 

 

Bibliography:
   

 

Church:
  St. Andrew's
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
   
Connected Churches:
  St. George
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  Formed 6th December 1844 out of the ecclesiatical parish of St. George
Records:
  Situated Cavendish Street
Notes:
 

 

Bibliography:
  1. 1893, Kellys Trade Directory.

 

Church:
  St. George's
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
  7th November 1838
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
   
Records:
   
Notes:
 

 

Bibliography:
   

 

Church:
  St. James Church
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
  1794
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  Erected in 1794, has 1300 sittings, and was for some years used by the'Huntingdonians'. The curacy is in the gift of the Vicar, and incumbency of the Rev. Edward Jackson, M.A.
Records:
   
Notes:
 

New York Street, Leeds.

Bibliography:
   

 

Church:
  St. John the Evangelist
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
   
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  Finished in 1634, at the sole expense of J. Harrison, Esq., has 1200 sittings. The perpetual curacy is valued at £375. It is in the patronage of the Vicar, Mayor, and three Aldermen; and the Rev. F. T. Cookson, M.A., is the incumbent.
Records:
   
Notes:
 
  • Briggate, Leeds.
  • Part of the Civic Trust Blue Plaque Trail.
Bibliography:
   

 

Church:
  St. Paul
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
  1793
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  finished in 1793, at the cost of £10,000, has 1500 sittings. The perpetual curacy, valued at £133, is in the gift of the Vicar, and incumbency of the Rev. J. R. Stratten, M.A.
Records:
   
Notes:
 

 

Bibliography:
   

 

Church:
  St. Peter (Leeds Parish Church)
Religion:
  Church of England
Consecrated:
  2nd September 1841 (present church)2
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
  Functional
Architect & Building:
 

It is not exactly known how many churches have stood on the present site, or the exact date the earliest structure stood. It is believed that a Saxon Church exisited in the 8th/9th century.2 From norman stone found on the site during repairs in 1812 it would suggest the normans replaced the earlier church.2 A larger Church was built on the site in the mid 14th century and again after a fire in the 1500's.2

"At the foot of Kirkgate, was a massive Gothic structure of great antiquity, but it was taken down in 1838, and rebuilt in the pointed style of the 15th century, at the cost of about £12,000 raised by subscription, except £700 given by Parliament. It has 3800 sittings,The tower is 117 feet high, and contains 13 bells, weighing 162 cwt 3qrs. 26lbs., of which the tenor weighs 35 cwt. 1qr. 9lbs. The New Burial ground, on the opposite side of the street, was opened in the early part of the present century. The vicarage, valued at £1300 per annum, is in the patronage of 25 trustees, and incumbency of the Rev. W. F. Hook, DD.. The Rev: T. Nunns, M.A., is lecturer; Rev. E. Jackson, cleric in orders and curate; and the Revs. E. and R, Male, W. Whyatt, N. Greenwell, and H. Kershaw, are the assistant curates. Mr. R. S. Burton is the organist and choir master".

1868-9 a railway viaduct seperated the church from Leeds using the old north graveyard.2

Records:
   
Notes:
 

Church contains: Leeds Cross restored 1986.2 Effigy 14th century knight member of MANSTON family.2 Thomas HARDWICK memorial (died February 1577).2 Ralph THORESBY memorial (1658-1725) - Leeds Historian also his father John THORESBY (died 20 September 1661)2 Memorial to Dr. HOOK Designed by Sir George Gilbert SCOTT and made by William Day KEYWORTH jnr of Hull.2

Memorial in Leeds Parish Church to Dr. HOOK (buried Chichester Cathedral).

Part of the Civic Trust Blue Plaque Trail.

Bibliography:
 

 

2. 2001, Leeds A to Z of Local History, John Gilleghan (MBE).

 

Church:
  Trinity Church
Religion:
   
Consecrated:
  1727
Connected Churches:
   
Status:
   
Architect & Building:
  finished in 1727, at the cost of £4563, has 1400 sittings. The perpetual curacy, valued at £300, is in the gift of the Vicar, Recorder, and Incumbent of St. John's, and is now enjoyed by the Rev. T. Nunns, M.A.
Records:
   
Notes:
 

 

Bibliography:
 

 


All Souls

Emmanuel Church

Leeds Parish (St. Peter)

Methodist Chapel (Oxford Place)

Mill Hill Chapel

Oxford Place Methodist Chapel

St. Andrew's

St. George's

St. James

St. John

St. Peter (Leeds Parish)

Trinity Church