Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 22 November, 2001

 

Harewood

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin | Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 Leeds Indexers

Origins

8 miles N of Leeds.

History

 

Neighbouring Areas

 

Trade Directories

WHITES 1853 Leeds Directory states:

HAREWOOD, celebrated for the noble mansion and park of the Earl of Harewood, and for the ruins of its ancient castle, is one of the neatest villages in Yorkshire; seated on the acclivities of Wharfdale, 8 miles N. of Leeds. Its township contains 3850 acres, and 895 souls, but its parish comprises also the seven following townships, and contains 12,180 acres, and 2476 souls. HAREWOOD HOUSE, the princely seat of the Earl of Harewood, stands in a
beautiful park of 1800 acres, and is an elegant Corinthian mansion, 248 1/2 feet long, and 85 broad. It has been much improved by the present Earl, and was built by the first Lord Harewood, who is said to have expended upon it £100,000. It stands near the site of the old hall of (Gawthorpe, and its apartments are numerous and are fin
ished in the first style of elegance and taste. The first stone was laid in 1759. The gardens and pleasure grounds are extensive and beautiful, and on the opposite aide of the hill are the venerable ruins of Harewood Castle, finely mantled with ivy.The Church (All Saints) is an ancient structure, and the living is a vicarage, valued
at £447, in the alternate patronage of the Parishioners and the Wheeler family. Here are large schools, and a Literary and
Scientific Institution, liberally supported by the Earl; end in the village is a Methodist Chapel. At the Ship Inn is a "Court of Ancient Foresters."

Churches / Places of Worship

Church

All Saints

Religion

 

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

 

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

 

 

Church

Methodist Church

Religion

 

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

 

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

 

Index

All Saints

Methodist Church