Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 23 November, 2001

 

Guiseley

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin | Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright © 2001 Leeds Indexers

Origins

 

History

 

Neighbouring Areas

 

Trade Directories

GUISELEY PARISH is in the Upper Division of Slkyrack Wapentake, and comprises the five townships of Guiseley, Carlton, Horsforth, Rawden, and Yeadon, which are in Carlton Union, under Gilbert's Act, and comprise 8890 acres, and about 13,000 inhabitants.

GUISELEY, an ancient village, on an eminence, 2 miles S. of Otley, and 10 miles NW. by W. of Leeds, has in its township about 2000 inhabitants, and 1580 acres of land, in the Liberty of Cawood, Wistow, and Otley. The Church (St Oswald) is a rectory, valued at £751, in the patronage of G. L. Fox, Esq., and Trinity College, Cambridge, the former having two turns, and the latter one.
The School, founded by Robt. Moore, in 1622, has an endowment of £52 per annum. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Churches / Places of Worship

Church

St. Oswald

Religion

 

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

 

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

 

Index

St. Oswald