Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 22 November, 2001

 

Alwoodley

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin |

Disclaimer | Copyright (c) 2000 Leeds Indexers

3 miles from Harewood, 5.25 from Leeds, 6 from Otley.

Origins

Aethelwald’s clearing in the forest – OE – Personal name + geographical feature (ley)

History

This place was formerly a seat of the Franks, afterwards the estate of Sir Gervaise Clifton, the noted Baronet, who outdid Henry VIII in the number of his wives; for, whereas that monarch, three Kates, two Nans, and one dear Jane had wedded; this Baronet had three honourables, three right worshipfulls, and one well-beloved wife; he died in 1666. (Thoresby)

Also includes ALWOODLEY-GATE
As above + ‘road to’ – OE – Location + ‘road to’ (geata) 3 miles from Harewood, 5 from Leeds.

Neighbouring Areas

 

Trade Directories

WHITES 1853 Leeds Directory States:

ALWOODLEY township, 5 1/2 miles N. of Leeds, has about 1200 acres,and 164 souls. The principal inhabitants are Wm. Davison and Wm. Rider, nurserymen,&c.; Jn. Horner, blacksmith; and Wm. Brown, Jas. Kent, Wm. Liddell, Wm. Lupton, John Midgley, Robert Mawson, James Rhodes, Lucy Smith, Eliz. Smith, Wm. Senior, &
Geo. & Wm. Todd, farmers.

Churches / Places of Worship

Church

Religion

 

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

 

Records:

 

Notes:

Bibliography

 

Index