Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 30 March, 2002

 

Adel

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin |Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright (c) 2001 Leeds Indexers

4 miles from Harewood, 5 from Leeds, 7 from Otley, 24 from York

Origins

Ada’s Hill – Saxon – Personal name + geographical feature Also, possibly, ‘Barodunum’ the Roman fort. This fort appears to have been about half a mile north of the church.

History

The historic Parish of Adel is situated on the northern outskirts of Leeds, Yorkshire. Early references to the Parish appear in the Domesday Book showing 'Adelle' as a Medieval Village with a Norman church with many fine carvings of exceptional detail. The Church still stands today, although the carvings on the archway have weathered in time.

The parish of Adel has diminished over the years, for at one time is spanned from the river Wharfe, in a southerly direction, until it met with the now modern day Ring Road at Weetwood Lane. It was an area of agriculture, with open fields, peppered with dwellings and farmsteads encompassing five townships: Adel, Arthington, Breary, Cookridge and Eccup.

Adel is situated near the site of a Roman fort, the ancient road from Tadcaster to Ilkley passing nearby. It is probable that a Saxon village sprang up around the fort and that a church would have been built within the village.

Following the Norman Conquest in 1066, the Lord of the Manor of Leeds, Ralph Paganel, diverted funds from the churches at Leeds and Adel to support a group of Benedictine monks at York. The monks at York received an annual pension from Adel, but they did not appropriate the rectoral tithes as they did from the church at Leeds. Consequently Leeds was ultimately served by a Vicar whilst Adel has always been served by its own Rector. Paganel had acquired properties in several English counties, partly from King William and partly in grant from his overlord Ilbert de Lacy, the Lord of the manor of Pontefract. Leeds and Adel were encompassed within the Honour of Pontefract.

In 1152 the massive Cistercian abbey at Kirkstall nearby was founded. At the same time, three miles north-northwest, at Adel the much simpler church of St John the Baptist was built to replace the older building there. Most likely stone was used from a quarry about 300yrds away on the East Side of Long Causeway.

Up until April 1926 Adel lay outside the city boundaries of Leeds. The Leeds Corporation Act 1925 brought Adel into the fold.

Trade Directories

Following extract from White 1853 Directory

ADDLE or ADEL is a small scattered village, five miles N.N.W. of Leeds, in the township qf ADDLE corn Eccup, which contains 4570A. but has only about 820 inhabitants, including the pleasant hamlets of COOKRIDGE and BREAREY. At Eccup are copious springs, and a large reservoir, forming the principal sources of the Leeds Waterworks. Addle parish comprises also Arthington township. The Church (St. John,) is a fine specimen of Saxon and Norman architecture, though it has no tower. The rectory, valued at £623, is in the patronage of Major General Davy. Addle is in Skyrack Wapentake, and is the site of a Roman station.

Neighbouring Areas

Arthington, Brearey, Cookridge, Eccup.

Churches / Places of Worship

 

Church

Friends Meeting House

Religion

Quaker, Wesleyan Methodist

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

Originally opened March 1868 for burials only together with the Meeting House to be used for cottages 1. Built on a 2 acre plot given to the Quakers by Hannah Barker (1780-1871) 1.

 

Records:

 

 

Notes:

  • 1920 Wesleyan Methodist held occasional services, turning into monthly meetings from 1930 1. September 1940 it became a Preparative Meeting House 1.

Bibliography

  1. Worship North and East of Leeds, GILLEGHAN, John.

 

 

Church

Methodist Church

Religion

Methodist

Consecrated

Dedicated 7th Nov 1964

Connected Churches

 

Status

 

Architect & Building

Foundation stone laid 5th June 1937 1. Foundation stone for new church laid 6th June 1964 1 by founder member Mrs. S. Walker, Mrs. M. Eddison for the trustees, Major J. K. Park for the Anglican Church and others 1. Church dedicated 7th Nov 1964 1 by Rev. J. Edward Prentice 1. The original building is now the church hall and is linked to the new church 1.

 

Records:

 

 

Notes:

 

Bibliography

  1. Worship North and East of Leeds, GILLEGHAN, John.

 

 

 

 

Church

St. John the Baptist

Religion

Church of England

Consecrated

 

Connected Churches

 

Status

Functional

Architect & Building

Adel church remains to this day one of the best examples of unaltered Norman architecture in Britain. The church has its origins in Saxon times from a wooden church (grave markers were found beneath the church in 1866 that date from the late 10th./early 11th century) 1. These stones are in the Leeds Museum 1.

The present church was built in 1816 and would have had a thatched roof 1. The church is older than Kirkstall Abbey 1 and was built on moors and is dedicated to St. John the Baptist who was a wilderness preacher) 1.

The church features two extensively carved arches with chevron ornamentation - a device much favoured by Norman carvers. Externally, the south doorway was the chief glory of the sculptured stonework. Unfortunately a protective porch was removed in 1816 since when the stonework has deteriorated quite badly. On the door is fixed a bronze handle. It consists of a circular plaque incised on which is the head of a beast devouring a human head. An incised moveable ring passes through the mouth of the beast. The whole is similar to the sanctuary knockers at Durham cathedral and All Saints' at York but there is no evidence that Adel ever had the right of sanctuary extended to criminals fleeing the place where they had committed a crime.

Internally the Chancel arch remains almost as sharp as the day it was carved. Again the carvers make extensive use of the chevron-zigzag form. Several grotesque heads surmount the arch. The capitals of the arch have interesting carvings. One of the carvings depicts a centaur with a bow and arrow, a favoured device of King Stephen (1135-1153).

The east window, set in 1681, contains the Arms of Dr. Brearey, the Rector, The Arthington family, those of Kirke of Cookridge and the Royal Arms. The three personal names survive today in areas and villages close by Adel.

The glass in the church is the work of Henry Giles of York. Mr Giles also added the inscription to his 'ever honoured friend' Thomas Kirke who died on 24th April 1706 and is buried in the churchyard. That is now incorporated in the small two-light window in the south wall of the chancel.

The stained glass in one of the windows in the south wall was put in during 1933 as a memorial to a member of the congregation, Colonel Arthur Bray. The three panes depict Ralph Paganel, Ilbert de Lacy and Alan, Abbot of Marmoutier, represented by the legend of its founder, St Martin, giving half his cloak to a beggar.

 

Records:

Original Records held at WYAS.

Christening

1606-1858

Marriage 1606-1837
Baptisms 1606-1876

After this period records are held with the incumbent.

Bishops Transcripts held at WYAS, Borthwick.

Monumental Inscriptions: Produced by the Wharfedale FHS, comprising of Full Inscriptions, together with Index and Map. (WFHS). Also printed by the Thoresby Society Vol 5 (1895).

 

Notes:

Bibliography

  1. National Index of Parish Registers, Vol 11, Part 3 (Society of Genealogists). Page 28.
  2. White's 1853 Leeds Directory, William WHITE Page 393
  3. Worship North and East of Leeds, GILLEGHAN, John.

 

Index

Friends Meeting House

Methodist Church

St. John the Baptist