Districts  |  Links  |   Records  |  Leeds Indexers

Updated: 30 March, 2002

 

Aberford

| Churches | History | Index | Neighbouring Areas | Origin |Trade Directories

Disclaimer | Copyright (c) 2001 Leeds Indexers

 

Origins

 

History

Trade Directories

 

Neighbouring Areas

 

Churches / Places of Worship

 

Church

Methodist Chapel

Religion

Methodist

Consecrated

1814

Connected Churches

 

Status

Functional

Architect & Building

Originally Built in 1814 1. New Chapel built south side of the old Chapel. Stone laying ceremony being held 17th April 1912 1 by Margaret Winter 1 a great grand-daughter of Sam Hick 1 (one of the trustees responsible for building the first chapel) 1.

 

Records:

 

 

 

Notes:

  • Underneath the holy table is an iron anvil that belonged to Sam Hick, the Micklefield blacksmith and Methodist Preacher 1.

Bibliography

  1. Worship North and East of Leeds, GILLEGHAN, John MBE (1998),

 

 

Church

St. Ricarius Church

Religion

Church of England

Consecrated

29 April 1861

Connected Churches

 

Status

Functional

Architect & Building

Built on foundations of earlier Saxon Church1. The church was rebuilt by the Normans evidence being found in the lower tower and repositioned north chancel window1.

Foundation stone of present church laid by Master Trench Gascoigne on April 8th 1861 1 and the church reopened by the Archbishop of York on April 29th 1861 1. The church was built by Backhouse & Marshall of Seacroft 1.

 

Records:

 

 

 

Notes:

Bibliography

  1. Worship North and East of Leeds, GILLEGHAN, John MBE (1998),

 

Index

Methodist Chapel

St. Ricarius Church