Leeds Indexers

  M a i n
About Us
 Contact Us
 Internet Tools
 Links
 Message Board
 PUBLICATIONS
 Surname Interests
 News
 Search Site
 Site Map

  I n f o r m a t i o n
 Articles
 Census
 Churches & Chapels
 Maps
Parish Registers
Poll Books
Projects

Census GuessTimator
LEEDS BURIALS
Site Map
Links
 

St. Clement

Also Known as:

 

 

HOME > Churches > St Clement

 

District:
Sheepscar

St Clement's Church, Chapeltown Road (Photograph Copyright www.Leodis.net 4)

Religion:
Church of England
Consecrated:
10 September 1868 2 4
Map:
Chapeltown Road, Leeds 2 4
Connecting Churches:
St Peter, Leeds 2, St. Michael's Buslingthorpe 2, St. Martin's Potternewton 2
Status:

When redevelopment began in the area the church was closed in 1974 it became a listed building the following year. It was how ever to be demolished in 1976, the site became part of the Sheepscar interchange. 4

(demolished 1976) 1

Architect & Building:

Erected 1868 1

The following Description from the '1893 Kelly's Directory of Leeds, Sheffield and Rotherham' 2 St. Clement's, Sheepscar, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed April 30th 1869, out of St. Peter's and St. Michael's, Buslingthorpe, a portion having in turn been since assigned to form the parish of St. Martin, Potternewton. The church, in Chapeltown road, consecrated 10th September, 1868, is an edifice of Potternewton stone with Weetwood stone dressings in the Early Geometric style, from the designs of Mr. George CORSON, architect, of Leeds, and was erected in 1867-8, in part by the Leeds Church Extension Society, at a cost of about £10,000 (2, 4): it consists of septagonal apsidal chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches, vestry, and a tower at the east end of the south aisle, with an open upper stage, containing large untraceried windows, an open-worked parapet, octagonal spired turrets and an octagonal turret with spire, at the south-east angle, reaching a height of 140 feet (4); at present there are no bells: the chancel has a ribbed and panelled roof, enriched with gilt stars on a blue field, and on either side are arcades of two arches, opening to the organ chamber and vestry: the fine stone pulpit is panelled and adorned with groups of St. John the Baptist preaching; St. Paul addressing the Gentiles; St. Peter the Jews, and of the Calling of the Apostles and there is a reading desk of stone, and a font of the same material carved with ferns and other foliage: the chancel arch and the arcades of the nave are both of brick and stone, with carved caps, and the nave has a ribbed wood roof with plaster panels: the seven windows of the apse are all stained and were erected by Mrs. TINSLEY as a memorial to her sister, Elizabeth FARRER, d. 1875: west window and the mural tile decoration below were presented by Mr. James TAYLOR, of Newton Grove, in memory of his daughter Laura, d. 1871; there is also a memorial window to James TINSLEY, churchwarden, d. 1870, erected by his widow in 1872; one to Mr. Charles NAYLOR of Potternewton, d. 1870, erected by his widow and family; there are other stained windows presented by Mr. John MORRIS, Sir Andrew FAIRBAIRN kt. and Alderman William HORNBY in 1868, and by Mr. Samuel FREEMAN in 1869: in the south aisle are two stained windows, one of which was given by William HOWGATE, a sweep; and there is a fine organ built at a cost of £1,600: there an sittings for 800 persons. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage endowed (May 1st, 1869) with £218 yearly by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, net yearly value £204, with residence adjoining the church on the north, in the gift of the Bishop of Ripon, and held since 1866 by the Rev. Thomas Samuel FLEMING F.R.G.S. and surrogate. The parsonage house was erected in 1870 at a cost of £1,850. The temporary iron church, still standing on the south side, is now used as a school, and has been enlarged at a cost of about. £700. The area is 197 acres; and the population in 1891 was 11,497.

The congregation included many soldiers from the nearby Barracks. An inscription on the Parish room stated 'This stone was laid by HSH Prince Adolphus of Teck May 16th 1895'. He was brother to Queen Mary, grandmother of Queen Elizabeth II and stationed at the Barracks with the 17th Lancers. 4

ICBS 06572 (1)

LEEDS, St. Clement, Sheepscar (1866-1869)
LEEDS
groundplan created by ?CORSON, George: b. 1829 - d. 1910 of Leeds

The thumbnail is a plan held by the The Incorporated Church Building Society (ICBS) Archive. The image can be viewed in full on their website at www.churchplansonline.org

 

Records:
Christenings Marriages Where held
1868-1964 1869-1974   WYAS/L 1
Notes:
 
Bibliography:
  1. Wilcox, A (M.A.M.Phil. F.R.S.A.) (1998) National Index of Parish Registers Volume II Part 3. Yorkshire West Riding, London:Society Of Genealogists.

  2. 1893, Kelly's Directory of Leeds, Sheffield and Rotherham.
  3. Lambeth Palace Library, "Church Plans on Line", The Incorporated Church Building Society Archive. ICBS Ref:06572
  4. Information obtained from the Leodis Website. Photograph (subject ID 200379_55863589) reproduced with kind permission of www.leodis.net. The image and associated data forms a part of the Leeds Library & Information Services Local Studies Collection and are held in copyright of the Leeds Library & Information Services. Photographs may be purchased directly from the Leodis site.
Links:

 

 


[BACK] [HOME] [TOP]

 

 

 

Site Search


Advanced Search

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ABOUT US | ARTICLES | CENSUS | CENSUS GUESSTIMATOR | CHURCHES & CHAPELS | CONTACT US | GUESTBOOK | HOME | INTERNET TOOLS | LEEDS BURIALS | LINKS | MAPS | MESSAGE BOARD | NEWS | PARISH RECORDS | POLL BOOKS | PROJECTS | PUBLICATIONS | SITE MAP | SITE SEARCH | SURNAMES INTERESTS


ESSAGE BOARD

Why not leave a message to fellow researchers on the Message Board or leave your SURNAME intere

MESSAGE BOARD

Why not leave a message to fellow researchers on the Message Board.

 

 
ENQUIRIES:
David Clarke:
Mike Hansell:
Steve Miller:

 

 

     
Copyright © 2000-2003 Leeds Indexers Copyright / Disclaimer