following Description from the '1893 Kelly's Directory
of Leeds, Sheffield and Rotherham' 1
St. Alban's, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed
1st May 1877, out of the parish of St. Stephen, Burmantofts.
The church, situated in Cutler Street, Saville Green east,
York road, is a cruciform structure of brick in the Early
English style, erected in 1875-6, from the designs of Messrs.
WALFORD and POLLARD, architects, of Bradford. At a cost of
£5,100, and consecrated March 31st, 1876, and consists,
of low pentagonal apsidal chancel and nave of four bays, both
under one roof, aisles, transepts, vestry, western stair porch,
and a belfry at the east end of the north aisle containing
1 bell, and over the chancel a tall fleche: all the roofs
are of open timber work: the chancel is fitted with stalls
and has an organ chamber on the north side, with an open screen:
the lectern is of carved oak: there are 400 sittings. The
living is a vicarage, gross yearly value from the Ecclesiastical
Commissioners, £200, in the gift of the Bishop of Ripon,
and held since 1882 by the Rev. Thomas Johnson HAMERTON, of
Balliol College, Oxford. The population in 1891 was 4,135.
LEEDS, St. Alban the Martyr (1875-1876)
groundplan created by WALFORD & POLLARD
The thumbnail is a plan held by the
The Incorporated Church Building Society (ICBS) Archive.
The image can be viewed in full on their website at